Friday, December 11, 2009

Sibling Craziness



I know I am certainly not alone. Sibling strife has been around as long as we have! I remember distinctly some very aggressive altercations between me and my sister (Kirst). And we love each other today very much. That being said, my kiddos have been less than pleasant to deal with for Mike and me lately@! They have this weird dichotomy of adoring each other and insisting on being next to each other at almost all times, but it has been truing to conflict almost instantly. Since Kira's birthday, we have been trying to survive this mayhem, but finally I reached my threshold. I was angry at them all the time, they were sad and mad most of the time....this did NOT feel good, and our ideas were not helping the situation any. So what does any self-respecting teacher do? Research!! I got a hold of a whole battery of highly rated books at the library. I found a particular gem, "Love and Logic from Birth to 6 Years". Short, to the point, lots of real world stories from the parenthood trenches. And I suppose the most telling bonus, the ideas resounded with me. Week one of tweaking? Well, my house feels a WHOLE lot different! My cute little sisters actually PLAYING together with no conflict for large chunks of time?! I keep holding my breath..but it seems to be working! As Cesar Milan of Dog Whisperer likes to point out, it's usually the owners that are the issue, not the dog. Now this may not be 100% true, we have definite genes and personality at work here in our spawn, but it is interesting to think about! We all are trying the best we can, and when you're trying to feed the dog,make dinner, clean up, change diapers, and discipline all in a few moments time....well, I certainly have a breaking point. It's important to take those few deep breaths, re-center, and deal with your kids calmly and not with anger (repeat, repeat, repeat....in my head all the time of late!). And some cute pics, just cause you got to post pictures too!

No comments:

Post a Comment