Monday, February 28, 2011

Mexican Eggs


Granted, my husband and I adore Mexican food...the real stuff. But our pantry is almost always stocked with ingredients for this recipe, perfect for breakfast or dinner. It is super delicious, and super easy to make, and lends itself to the creative cook who likes to add little bits of things to be used up or that suit family preferences. You could play around the ingredients a lot here....let me know if you find a winning combo, I am sure I will never make this recipe exactly the same every time myself! Enjoy!

(Inspired by a Sunset Magazine recipe)

Ingredients

  • 4 slices bacon, chopped (Trader Joe's Applewood Smoked bacon)
  • 1 can (16 oz.) refried beans (I used Trader Joe's Salsa style)
  • 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chiles
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup shredded any cheese (Daiya for me, sharp cheddar for Mike)
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1 avocado, chopped
  • Warm corn tortillas (or not if you can't do flour or corn like me!)
  • Salsa (I love taqueria style made by Herdez, found in Mexican food sections in a can)

Preparation

1. Brown bacon in a 12-in. frying pan. Drain on a paper towel, leaving 1 tbsp. bacon fat in pan. Cook beans chiles, and most of the green onions in the pan over medium heat, stirring often, until simmering.

2. Make 4 wells in beans with a spoon and crack an egg into each. Cook, covered, just until eggs set, about 4 minutes. Top with cheese, more green onions, tomato, cilantro, avocado, and reserved bacon. Serve with tortillas and salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment