Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Favorite Salad

I have been addicted to this salad for sometime. My only hang up was how expensive those darn delicious candied pecans were at Trader Joe's....normally my most reliable source for affordable nuts! So...I hunted for a good recipe to make my own...and these are fabulous! If you can't do eggs, I have done this same recipe with no eggs and maple syrup instead of the sugar. It works well too, just not quite as much coating sticks to the nut, but still delicious!

Baby Lettuce with Papaya Poppy Seed Dressing, Candied Pecans, and Cranberries

Lettuce (Pre-washed and ready to go!)
Annie's Papaya Poppy Seed Dressing to taste
Dried Cranberries to taste
Candied Pecans

To make pecans:

1 pound pecan pieces (usually cheaper than whole pecans, and you break them up anyways!)
1 egg white, whipped (I used the egg white from a carton of the cage-free ones at Trader Joes)
1/2 cup sugar
2 T brown sugar or maple syrup
1/2 t salt (optional)
1/2 t vanilla (optional)

Mix the egg white and sugars, salt, and vanilla. Toss in nuts to evenly coat. Spread out in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment. Bake for apx 30 minutes in a 300 oven! Cool and break into a ziploc bag to have at your fingers for all sorts of things!

No comments:

Post a Comment